Saturday, May 5, 2007

Country Auctions...

I had never been to an auction before today! Considering I live in the boonies where country auctions are big events, I've just never had a reason to attend one. Today that changed.

A member of one of our sister churches passed away and after going through everything in the house and farm, the family decided to put the rest of the merchandise up for auction. They had everything imaginable from quilts and dishes, to farm equipment and tools. My girls belong to the Youth Group at this sister church and they were asked to provide the food for the guests at the auction. So, the parents got to help man the booth with the kids and we sold sloppy joes, hot dogs with kraut, chips, cookies and pop.

It was a beautiful day for an auction! The sun was shining, the weather perfect! Our shift started at noon, so we got there around 11:30 to check out all the "stuff". It really has to be hard on a family to watch your heirlooms and memories being sold to strangers...

They had a couple huge canopies set up with all of the items set out around the house. We were just off to the side, so we were able to see everything that was sold. It's so neat hearing the Auctioneer talk so fast! "Who'll give me 10, do I hear 10? 10? 10 now, who'll give me 15? Do I hear 15? 15 over here, how about 20? Do I hear 20? 20? 20? Sold, for $20!!!"

The Youth Group made over $300 profit on the food they sold.... they kids had a blast, and my hubby even bought a few things.... It was a really nice day.

No comments: